Monday, March 7, 2011

The First of Many: A Devotional

Here is a post from another blog I wrote in last year. Mostly I posted devotions there and I want to streamline what I have - keeping some and scrapping the rest. Here is the first of many of such posts. A special thanks to my friend, Sunny, for reminding me there might be worthwhile stuff on the other page - I hope you find this to be just that.

This post requires some writing. Stop and get out some paper and a pen. You're also going to need your Bible.

OK, first, write out a definition of hope.
Now a definition of character.

Now, I know what you may be thinking, "I can just read through this first, I don't really want to write anything down. Maybe I'll come back and write later." Stop that. You'll need these in a later part. You know those card tricks which start with, "Choose a card, any card?" How often do those work when you refuse to do something in the beginning? Never. This is like that, minus the slight of hand. So, either write or stop reading. It's up to you.

Now read Romans 5:1-5, looking especially at 3-5. In fact, read vv. 3-5 three to five times. I'll wait...

OK, now, think about the relationship Paul is declaring:

1. When you suffer it is actually generating something in you rather than just destroying (which is what it feels like [cf. John 15:1-9]). It is producing a quality which gives you longevity under duress; endurance.

2. Next, not only does suffering produce endurance, but that even is working on your behalf. It not only makes you last longer when you're in the fire, but it makes YOU into a different quality of person. Endurability means that the type of person you are has been upgraded and is now worth more. Character is to a person what the 4 Cs (carat, cut, color, clarity) is to a diamond - the better the character, the rarer and more valuable the person. Suffering, in the long run, makes you a person of higher quality.

3. And then he keeps going and this is where your definitions come into play. In your definition of 'character,' was there anything in it which generated hope? Would your explanation of it make one think, "Hope comes from that?" Paul's definition does. He seems to be saying (if my reasoning is correct) that the higher the quality of you as a person, the more you will hope. Now, why do you think he would say that? This is a question the text leaves you to work out and one which I want you to try to answer now. Scripture sometimes connects the dots for us and other times leaves the inferences for us to make.

This is where I'll leave it for you: articulate in writing (or conversation to someone this morning) as to why character produces hope.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was the devotion I was speaking of! And four of us discussed it over dinner a few nights ago and it was well worth the conversation. PS - The Head and The Heart is an incredible album! Reminds me of Mumford and Avett Bros.

Kyle McManamy said...

Wow. That was uber encouraging - thanks for letting me know that. I'll do my best to keep stuff rolling out.

Anonymous said...

Will you put up more devotions or fun posts soon?! You are MIA, Mr. Kyle...

Kyle McManamy said...

Def! I was thinking about that this evening, actually. Thanks for the reminder/encouragement!