Wednesday, February 2, 2011

3 More Reasons to Love Google

My friend, Justin, has one of the best blogs I read (check it out). He's got great stuff on there about technology, politics, cultural conflicts, and just cool stuff he finds along his days. One of my favorite types of posts that he does is "The Top 5 Things That Have Recently Blown My Mind." In the spirit and in honor of Justin and those posts, here are a few more reasons to love Google.

(When I went on his blog to make sure I got his "Top 5 Things" title correct, I saw that he'd already beaten me to the punch on #2. Typical.)

1. Google Flu Trends:
Google found that certain search terms are good indicators of flu activity. Google Flu Trends uses aggregated Google search data to estimate flu activity

2. Google Art Project:
Explore museums from around the world, discover and view hundreds of artworks at incredible zoom levels, and even create and share your own collection of masterpieces.

3. Google Power Meter:
Using energy information provided by utility smart meters and energy monitoring devices, Google PowerMeter enables you to view your home's energy consumption from anywhere online.

Bonus: Google has an entire philanthropic arm www.google.org which is worth checking out. They gave over $145M to non-profits and academic institutions in 2010.

1 comment:

Justin Scott said...

Awh, shucks.

So glad to have you back!